Looking for an amazing, natural, and SAFE dishwasher soap? Try this one out. It scores an A on the EWG (environmental working group) scale. This stuff works I mean truly works! I DO NOT rinse my dishes prior to washing them in the dishwasher (seriously what is the point in that, I might as well just finish washing the silly things), and this stuff cleans even the nastiest dishes, leaves them spot and film free and squeaky clean. Best part it is easy to make and cost is roughly $0.05 a load!!!!! WOW!
Check out the end of the post for more info on all the ingredients and the benefits they bring to the detergent.
– 1 C Super Washing Soda
– 1 C Baking Soda
– 1 C Citric Acid
– ½ C salt
1) Mix all ingredients in a bowl or air tight container of some sort and stir or shake to mix well.
2) Use 1 TBSP per load of dishes (can be placed in main soap compartment or sprinkled on bottom of dishwasher.
3) Can be safely mixed with vinegar (use this as a rinsing agent or for extra greasy dirty dishes).
– Must be stored in an airtight container. If the citric acid comes into contact with moisture it will turn into a hard lump.
– This recipe will yield roughly 56 loads.
– If you have a couple silica packets from shoes or something else you have purchased throw those in and it will help prevent it from hardening.
– I use an old cocoa canister or gatorade canister to store. Works great and seals tight so no moisture issues. A canning jar or storage bowl will work as well. Don’t worry about buying anything fancy just use what you have on hand. You can also just use a ziplock bag.
– You can easily double or triple this recipe or even cut it in half
– Everyone’s water is a little different so feel free to adjust the amounts of each ingredient to better fit your water needs. For people with hard water you may want to increase the amount of salt and baking soda and for soft water decrease them.
– The “natural” supposedly safe dishwasher soap is roughly $0.25 a load. This soap is much safer and more natural and is only $0.05 a load and just as effective if not more so!
– If you would like a little scent to your soap you can add a few drops of a good quality essential oil to your mixture.
More about the Ingredients:
-Super Washing Soda: cuts through greasy soils, helps neutralize and eliminate odors. An effective cleaner that is a natural product; 100% Fragrance & Phosphate Free.
– Baking soda: An alkaline natural mineral that has scouring power. Can be used as a replacement for water-softener and to remove odors. Effective in removing heavy stains from dishes when diluted with warm water. Is also a multi purpose odor remover.
– Citric acid: is an excellent cleaning agent. It is used to remove and discourage the buildup of limescale. It can be used to treat water by chelating the metals in hard water, it lets cleaners produce foam and work better without the need for water softening. A solution with a six percent concentration of citric acid will remove hard water stains from glass without scrubbing.
– table salt: helps to scour the dirty dishes and prevent hard water spots.