Life gets busy and we don’t always have time to cook an intricate meal. Don’t fret and definitely don’t waste your money on prepackaged food that is neither good for you nor taste very good. I have a super easy chicken tortilla soup that takes less than 15 minutes to cook and taste so yummy. Bonus this is made with ingredients you will have on hand.
You can make this recipe as simple or fancy as you like and you can make it a bit healthier by using your own canned goods or fresh ingredients from the garden.
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can corn
- 1 can beans (pinto, chili, black, kidney, whatever you prefer)
- 1 can rotel (I generally use some hatch green chilies instead)
- 1 can chicken
- 1 package ranch seasoning (I make my own and use 2-3 TBSPs)
- 1 package taco seasoning (I make my own and use 3 TBSPs
- pour all ingredients including liquids into a large pot on your stovetop OR you can easily pour into your crockpot and cook on low all day.
- give a quick stir to mix everything up
- let warm through and serve
- I love to serve this with a sprinkle of cheese, dollop of sour cream (we use homemade goat milk sour cream), diced avocado, and tortilla or frito chips. You can choose any toppings you would prefer or whip up some quick quesadillas and VIOLA! a delicious dinner in no time.
- If you want more of a chili or thicker soup keep as is. If you like more broth you can easily add 2 cups of water or 2 cups of chicken broth for additional flavor.
- If you have left over chicken from another dish (even if it is seasoned) feel free to chop that up and use it instead of canned chicken. It will work great and help use up leftovers
- You can definitely use fresh or home canned veggies for this dish. You are looking for roughly 1.5-2 cups of each ingredient
- This serves roughly 4-6 people
- This works great to throw in the crockpot and cook on low all day
- This freezes fabulously
- If you want to add a little heat to your soup toss in some red pepper flakes